Greetings from p.O.W.E.R.’s Alchemilla Feminist Economic Collaborative

Alchemilla Feminist Economic Collaborative is a project of P.O.W.E.R. (Parents  Organizing for Welfare and Economic Rights), a non-profit organization that works to empower low-income people.

What is Alchemilla?

The authors gravitate to their own definition of Alchemilla: “A unified, feminist perspective, containing working foundational elements, sent to task in combinations that constantly create progressive, valuable, based in substance, for community.”

As the mission states, P.O.W.E.R. is an organization of low-income parents and allies advocating for a strong social safety net while working toward a world where children and caregiving are truly valued, and the devastation of poverty has been eradicated.

We run a welfare rights hotline that low-income parents can call to find out their rights at DSHS; along with holding community-building workshops, events and many other projects.

Our “Sock Monkeys for Social Justice Project” is in full swing. Make an appointment to come in and make your own, or buy one of our kits.  They make great gifts for kids.  Every unique, cute, cuddly, sock monkey has a different story to share.

The Pop-Up Market

Every  Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 pm it’s time to visit Alchemilla’s Pop-Up Market.

Here we are right in the middle of the season—it’s July already! Things we have during the summer:  strawberries from Helsing Junction, OlyMaw Honey.  You may buy fresh rhubarb from Circling Together Farms, as well as arts, crafts, clothing, and plants, by Azure McCormick, Carolyn Hewitt, and Laura Downing, and P.O.W.E.R.  95% of the proceeds go to the artist. The other 5% goes to P.O.W.E.R.  P.O.W.E.R. is also a Helsing Junction Farm CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) drop-off site, every week into fall.

Find out more about P.O.W.E.R. and all the different things we are getting into! We are at 309 5th Ave. SE  in Olympia, right next to Rainy Day Records.

Carolyn Hewitt volunteers with P.O.W.E.R. and Laura Downing is a member of the Board.

 

 

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>